We could find not a few stories all over the world.
Such as, “Paganica” from Acient Rome, “Cambuca” from England in the 14th century, “Pall mall / jeu de mail / pele mele” from Italy, France and England, “Chole” from Flanders, “Soule” from northern France, “Kolf/Het Kolven” from the Netherland, “Goff” from Scotland in the 15th century, etc.
Originally, in Scotland, golf was not a rich man’s game; it was played along the east coast of Scotland where there was ‘links land’, that is, an area of turf near the sea with sand underlying it.
Because of the poor subsoil, the grass grew thin and short, being only suitable for grazing sheep. These kept the grass even shorter. As sand lay under the thin turf, water drained through it very quickly, thus it was possible to play golf on fairly dry ground even after heavy rain and there was no mud. An additional bonus to links land at sea-level was that snow was less likely in the winter. The majority of these links areas existed on the east coast of Scotland; as it happens, the east side of Scotland has a lower rainfall than the west, which further aided the golfers.
Communication between the fishing villages on the coast was poor and they tended to be relatively self-sufficient areas and closed communities. The only exception, on the east side of Scotland was the capital city. Edinburgh, and its nearby port, Leith.
Until the 18th century there was no such thing as a golf club, that is, an association of golfers with a clubhouse and a proper links looked after by the members, but this was no deterrent to the village golfers, who had a natural links close to the village which required no upkeep. These golfers could enjoy a match, arranging their own handicaps, whenever they had leisure time.The term ‘clubmaker’ is, by tradition, used to describe those who made wooden-headed clubs. It does not refer to wooden shafts; all clubs had wooden shafts until 1925.
In 1501 the Treaty of Glasgow was signed, bringing peace to Scotland and England. Not long after, the Stuart kings of Scotland began their long associateion with golf. The first indication of this is in the accounts of the Lord High Treasurer of Scotland, which records the purchase of clubs and balls for the king from a bowmaker of Perth in Scotland between 1503 and 1506.
A game taken up by the king, and therefore the royal court, was no longer a pastime for poor villagers only. A links was needed Holywood which was the area of Edinburgh where the king and royal court resided.
As courses appeared near Edinburge, particularly at Leith and Bruntsfield, and as the gentry had plenty of leisure and money, played frequent golf and needed golf clubs, those particularly skilled in clubmaking took up enployment in the area and became specialist clubmakers; many of them were also bowmakers, as we shall see.